1. Debunking A Myth
‘You can never have too much insulation’ is a phrase that is often repeated. It may be applicable to residential housing but, where outdoor pizza ovens are concerned, it’s not necessarily accurate. The amount of insulation depends on the planned use of the oven and the materials from which it is constructed. Insufficient insulation will allow the heat to escape too quickly, but excessive quantities could cause the oven to overheat, affecting the quality of cooked food.
2. Why Proper Insulation Is Important
Using the correct type and amount of insulation when building a pizza oven is vital for several reasons:
- Without the right insulation, the oven will heat up more slowly and lose heat too quickly, resulting in unevenly cooked food.
- It will be necessary to use more wood to maintain the temperature of the oven which will increase running costs.
- The internal components and materials will suffer if exposed to prolonged excessive heat.
- The outside of the oven will become hot unless properly insulated, which poses a serious risk to the safety of you, your family, and your guests. The outside must not be affected by the internal heat.
3. Which Parts Should Be Insulated
There are two parts of a pizza oven that should be insulated:
- Dome: It is important to insulate the dome with the best insulation for pizza ovens as this is where heat will rise and potentially conduct to the outside. A kiln blanket will enable the oven to withstand extremely high temperatures while minimising heat loss.
- Under The Oven Floor: By using a mixture of perlite and crushed firebrick grog, bound with heatproof fondu cement, heat can be prevented from escaping through the floor of the oven. Ceramic pins can also be used to reinforce the insulation to aid heat retention.
Contact Us For More Information
At Pizza Oven Supplies, our pizza oven kits contain everything you need to build a well-insulated oven in your home, restaurant, or business premises. To find out more about our range, please download our free guide or call us today on 01782 212777.